GoalsTalk.Com - Online International Soccer Discussions

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Millsybeast
Quiver
6 posters

John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello

Quiver
    Quiver
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello Empty John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello

Post by Quiver Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:19 am

Defender John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend

Terry, 29, held talks with England boss Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday.

"After much thought I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," said Capello in a statement.

Terry said he fully respected Capello's decision to demote him, adding he would still "give everything for England".

They next match is a home friendly against Egypt on 3 March as they continue their preparations for the World Cup in South Africa.

Capello returned to the United Kingdom on Thursday and is thought to have been keen to resolve the issue before travelling to Poland for Saturday's Euro 2012 draw.

The Italian, 59, who has been recovering from knee surgery in Switzerland, has been monitoring the fall-out from the Terry saga closely and has regularly spoken to his trusted lieutenant Franco Baldini.

Baldini, England's general manager, held in-depth talks with four key FA board members on Monday - chairman Lord Triesman, chief executive Ian Watmore, director of communications Adrian Bevington and head of development Trevor Brooking.

They agreed that Capello alone would make the decision about Terry's future and that the priority was to make the right decision rather than a quick one.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour," read Capello's statement.

"However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first.

"When I chose John Terry as captain, I also selected a vice-captain (Rio Ferdinand) and also named a third choice. There is no reason to change this decision.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The FA, particularly Lord David Triesman and Ian Watmore for allowing me to make this decision in my own time and in the best interest of the team."

Terry, a married father of twins, was appointed captain in August 2008.

In the 15 matches in which he wore the armband under Capello, England won 11 and drew two, qualifying easily for this year's World Cup.

He is alleged to have had an affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the former girlfriend of England and former Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Bridge, who has a son with the French model, moved to Manchester City in January 2009 and is recovering from a knee injury that has kept him out of action for the last two months.

Meanwhile, Perroncel, a lingerie model and former nightclub hostess, said she would not be selling her story.

In a statement read on her behalf by publicist Max Clifford, Perroncel said: "I have decided I do not want to speak publicly about the speculation since it only seems to add more fuel to the fire.

"I have a three-year-old son and he is my main concern. I do not believe speaking to newspapers or the media is in his interest or my own."
    Millsybeast
    Millsybeast
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello Empty Re: John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello

Post by Millsybeast Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:38 am

TBH it serves him right for being a Man Whore Wink lol. But he is still a good player and Captain of Chelsea so thats alrite.
    TheChrisHolleyVideos
    TheChrisHolleyVideos
    Junior
    Junior

Male
    Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2010-01-31

John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello Empty Re: John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello

Post by TheChrisHolleyVideos Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 am

i don't see why his private life has anything to do with football and he's not the only player to be a 'man whore'
    Quiver
    Quiver
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by Quiver Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:57 am

TheChrisHolleyVideos wrote:i don't see why his private life has anything to do with football and he's not the only player to be a 'man whore'

Captains should lead by example. Private life doesn't matter directly but has a influence on other things & people. Was a right decision to take away his captaincy.
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 316
    Registration date : 2009-01-02

Post by Admin Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Quiver wrote:
    TheChrisHolleyVideos wrote:i don't see why his private life has anything to do with football and he's not the only player to be a 'man whore'

Captains should lead by example. Private life doesn't matter directly but has a influence on other things & people. Was a right decision to take away his captaincy.
    Yep , bad move from capello
    Harrogate town
    Harrogate town

Male
    Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post by Harrogate town Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 pm

What a load of shit John Terry is the only leader in the England team really!!!
    Hagibest
    Hagibest
    Senior
    Senior

Male
    Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2010-02-01

Post by Hagibest Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 am

I agree, I think Terry is a great player and perfect for leading England at the World Cup 2010, but after what's happened it wouldn't be a great image for the national team and all. I think Gerrard would be the perfect man for it, even if Rio was vice-captain and automatically assumes the position of captain, Stevie G is a great midfielder who is very experienced with Liverpool and England as well as being a great leader.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 pm