GoalsTalk.Com - Online International Soccer Discussions

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sydney FC’s Shannon Cole To Fight For First Socceroo Cap

Ali Swaidan
    Ali Swaidan
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Sydney FC’s Shannon Cole To Fight For First Socceroo Cap Empty Sydney FC’s Shannon Cole To Fight For First Socceroo Cap

Post by Ali Swaidan Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:09 pm

Sydney FC’s Shannon Cole To Fight For First Socceroo Cap 2581_news

Sydney FC winger Shannon Cole will be fighting for his first international cap when Australia take on Kuwait in next Thursday’s Asian Cup qualifier in Canberra.

The 23-year-old earned his first Socceroos call-up for the January qualifier against Indonesia but failed to make the bench in Jakarta.

Speaking ahead of his club’s end-of-season trip to China, the former Sydney Olympic player said he would use his time in camp to force his way into the matchday squad.

“This time I’ve got a couple of days of training in camp to earn a place in the squad and when I get to Canberra that’s what I’ll do,” Cole said.

“The last camp was the first time I’d met a couple of those guys; it was like the first day at school where you don’t know anyone and try to fit in.

“But all the boys are very easy to get on with and I’ll be a lot more comfortable this time.”

Cole, who enjoyed a meteoric rise through state football before earning himself an A-League contract last season, has impressed within an otherwise underperforming Sydney squad.

Having failed to make the finals series with his club side, Cole said he was shocked to be announced as the only Sydney player called up by Australia manager Pim Verbeek.

He continued, “It wasn’t something I’d thought about too much because I wasn’t playing.

“I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much but I’m very pleased and honoured to get included.”

Sydney will play Chinese powerhouse Shanghai Shenhua on Saturday evening.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:24 am