GoalsTalk.Com - Online International Soccer Discussions

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register if you haven't registered on out site.

You need to be registered on our site in order to watch live soccer on our site.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans

Ali Swaidan
    Ali Swaidan
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2009-02-12

Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans Empty Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans

Post by Ali Swaidan Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:36 am

Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans 43891_news

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has endured some pretty harsh criticism from fans of the club who travelled to Russia to see the team's UEFA Cup exit at the hands of CSKA Moscow, with supporters refusing to see 'the bigger picture' as he urged them.
    "Villa have treated every fan who has travelled out here with contempt," was how The Birmingham Mail reported one Villa fan, Tom Cole, aged 53, a city council printer from Great Barr, Birmingham, as saying.
    "This has cost me £1,000 and it feels like that money and all the other cash I’ve spent since last July has been wasted. The UEFA Cup was supposed to be our Holy Grail and we had no inkling that, when we paid for these tickets, we would be watching a weakened side.
    "There were 500 Villa fans in the stadium and not a single one seemed to agree with what O’Neill did."
    O'Neill says he can understand the feelings of people such as Mr Cole, but is sticking to his assertion that qulaifying for next season's Champions League is of far more importance to the club's long-term future.
    "We had a group of people who spent a lot of money to come and support us, and of course they’ll be disappointed," the Irishman told Setanta Sports News earlier.
    "We will try, at some stage or other, to make it up to those people who made that journey across. Three games in six days does take its toll and it’s important to look at the bigger picture. The owner has entrusted me to make these decisions and for better or worse I have done so.
    "I hope European football will be a more regular feature at Villa Park and we are able to cope with big demands in the fashion that the top four sides have to in February, March and April time."
    Quiver
    Quiver
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male
    Number of posts : 207
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans Empty Re: Martin O'Neill Expresses Sympathy For Aston Villa Fans

Post by Quiver Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 pm

They have done quite well in the league. Almost running for a third league position. If they can keep up their winning ways, they can do it.
    Moreover, the larger picture is after getting knocked off from the UEFA cup is they can concentrate on the league more, next year it would be champions league qualification. That would be great for the club.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 pm